Friday, October 7, 2011

"Jenny" To Be Appearing in Whortleberry Press Valentines Issue

My day has officially been made -- I just received my acceptance letter from Whortleberry Press for my story "Jenny."  It'll be appearing in the Valentines issue, and I'll be sure to update with the link as soon as it's available. I can't wait! I spent most of my evening browsing the website and the Lulu store and it's pretty awesome.

Whortleberry Press is a great indie publisher.  Their books look great, and while the website is very simple and straightforward the whole place has a very cozy, homey feel.  Especially the forums.

Anyway.  "Jenny."

I'm especially glad that the story found a good home.  I wrote it my first year of graduate school, and submitted it to the very first workshop of the semester, where I can safely say it was not particularly well-received.  Most of my classmates seemed to think I was a monster, and edged around me in the hallways.  My professor pulled me aside and told me, kindly but firmly, that "such nonsense" was a "waste of talent" and I wasn't allowed to submit anymore genre work.

I'm glad I went with my gut -- I dropped out of the creative writing program, and started selling stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment