Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Kindle! And a Word about Indie Publishing

I'm always resistant to new technologies.  I didn't start buying CDs until they stopped putting tape decks in new cars.  I didn't buy a DVD player until the PS2 came out.  I only got my first MP3 player in August, and I still insist on buying CDs.  

I'm not really a dinosaur.  I'm just excessively frugal, and I like to resist fads until they've proven themselves worth all the hype.  I like to be the one standing there, pointing and laughing, when other people buy some dumb new gadget that turns out to be worthless.

Still, eventually the new technology sticks, and then I set out to obtain mine as cheaply as possible. 

So when my parent's asked me if I'd be interested in getting "one of those Kindle thingies" for Christmas, I said "yes" all too eagerly.  I quickly added that I only needed the basic one, and that it had recently gone on sale for $79.  Frugal, remember. 

Anyway, I got the Kindle on Sunday (we're not big on celebrating holidays on the day they're meant to happen...long story, which I will tell you all some other day) and I'm pretty much in love with it.  Naturally, the first thing I did was log on to Amazon and start surfing for freebies. 

80 books later, I thought maybe I should stop and read some of what I'd downloaded. 

Of course, I downloaded a lot of classics.  I don't quite have duplicates of all the public domain books I own, yet, but I've got a good chunk and also some stuff I didn't own.  I also learned how to sync up my Kindle account with my Goodreads, Facebook, and Twitter, because I'm a social media junkie. 

I always poked through and picked up a bunch of free self-pubbed/indie books.  I'm new to reading in the indie scene and I'm still really not sold on it.  I've got a lot of friends that started reading fan-fiction early on, but I've never been a fan-fiction reader; I think that's why I'm not as fond of the indie books, they read too much like fan-fic.  I'm sure indie works great for those midlist authors who chose to go that route (the J.A. Konraths and Holly Lisles and whatnot) but I still think the vast majority of writers could seriously benefit from professional editing.  At the very least a copy-editor who will pick up all of the punctuation inconsistencies and duplicate words.  I would be absolutely ashamed as a writer to realize that my book went live for download with typos!

Anyway.  I'll check in after I've had the chance to read a few more of these before I start raining criticism down too hard on the indie authors.  In the meantime, "eeeeee Kindle!!!"

3 comments:

  1. I have the same addiction to books in physical format: I buy them like mad, but I have yet to read most of them! Granted, I also buy on the cheap - Goodwill is fantastic for used books - but I've also built up my library with art books, which get quite spendy.

    I was skeptical about the Kindle at first; I love the feeling of turning pages by hand. But I've heard great things about them, I see them frequently, and digital books would be much easier to move than boxful upon boxful of novels (which will be the case when I can move out).

    ReplyDelete
  2. And this is why I want you to edit "A Piece of History" for me. I added some scenes, adjusted characterization and I want to make sure it's as picture-perfect as I can get it before throwing it at some of the sites I started prowling. *makes big anime eyes* I know you have like NO free time, but... *hopeful look*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jillian - trust me, considering the number of times I've had to move, the books are ALWAYS the heaviest/least enjoyable part LOL. I have packed up and moved soooo many books, many of which I have yet to read. I'll usually pick them up at the used bookstore or at a library sale because they're such a great deal....and then lug them around.

    Angel - You know I will, honey. Just send it my way. I'll be slow, but I'll get it done. And, oh, FFS, that reminds me that I owe Jillian chapters too!

    ReplyDelete