Saturday, December 10, 2011

Keeping Busy and a Little More Ragging on Indie Authors

Apologies for the lack of updates recently -- I've been keeping busy trying to balance work, life, writing, and rats.  It's a pretty crazy life.  On the bright side, I'm pouring every bit of myself into getting things in place to start writing full-time in the new year. 

I do, however, want to finish Tagestraum first.  It's a really hard slog finishing this last 10,000 words.  I'm sorely tempted to just skip ahead and write the ending, then come back and finish up this chapter of connective fissue.  Whatever works, right?

I want to finish Tagestraum before quitting my job because I have one enduring daydream left: Of me walking up to my boss and calmly explaining that I'm leaving this call center business forever because I have a book deal. 

Of course, I have realistic expectations.  I thoroughly expect to be paying the majority of my bills by writing web copy, at least for a while, and I'm totally OK with that.  I just want to rub my boss's nose in my book contract.  Is that so bad?

In the meanwhile, here's a great post about mistakes indie writers make.

Why am I so hard on the indie writers?  It's not that I have any problem with them.  In fact, I think self-publishing is kind of awesome.  I don't mind the idea of a direct-to-consumer media creation.  But I'm afraid that too many people approach self-publishing as a way to avoid the pain of rejection.  They seek it out as instant gratification, and I think that's setting yourself up for disappointment. 

As for me, I'm going to make a push to have this draft finished ASAP, let it sit, do the polish, and then get it the hell out of the house.  I'll need some caffeine to make it happen, and possibly lock myself in a quiet room until it's all done, and yes I'll lose money by taking time off the web writing gig to make it happen...but, dammit, this book needs to get out of me. 

Then I'll be able to smugly wave it around in my boss's face.  Even though realistically I don't think he'll care.

No comments:

Post a Comment