Sunday, June 17, 2012

28 Day Blogging Challenge: Why I Still Care About Traditional Publishing


Did you publish your book as a traditionally printed book, an eBook, or both? How did you come to your decision? Which company(ies) did you use for printing and distribution? How did you select them?

I had this really long, beautifully-thought-out post, and then I somehow accidentally deleted the whole thing.  DAMN YOU BLOGGER.  Anyway, I was talking about why I'm choosing to go traditional rather than opt for self-publishing, even when self-publishing has a certain intoxicating appeal: 

  1. It's a milestone that I consider personally important -- an achievement I want.
  2. I want the assistance of an agent in forming my career and making choices for it
  3. I want to reach the widest possible audience, and self-distribution won't help that
  4. I want people who don't know me to be able to walk into a bookstore and see my book
  5. Self-publishing still has a quality stigma; it still feels like "second best" and settling. 
I'm not opposed to self-publishing -- and I plan to use self-publishing as part of my marketing campaign for my traditionally-published books -- but none of it will feel real or worthwhile to me until I've broken into the traditional market. 

2 comments:

  1. I wish I had your confidence. I tried the agent thing, didn't work out for me. Best of luck! WRITE ON!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some days I definitely don't feel as confident as I sound, heh. But I'm a very challenge-and-goal oriented person, so I try to keep my head up and find ways past obstacles

      Delete