Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Fictional Crushes

Who is your favorite literary character? With which literary character do you most relate?

I am much more likely to develop a crush on a character than relate to one.  I have no idea why this is.  But my "fictional guys I want to bang" list is very, very long and just keeps gaining people.  This is especially bizarre because, as previously stated, I don't read romance novels.

Actually, maybe that's exactly why I don't read romance novels.  I want the character all to myself.  I don't want to share with the MC.  Or, god help us, the MC chooses the wrong guy and then I feel betrayed.  Really, it's a much safer world if the romantic tension is left for me to enjoy without exploring.

Fictional Characters I Want to Bang
  1. Mr. Rochester (Jane Eyre)
  2. Mr. Darcy (Pride & Prejudice
  3. Smedrick the Magician (The Last Unicorn)
  4. Justin the rat (The Rats of NIMH)
  5. Samwise Gamgee (The Lord of the Rings)
  6. Iago (Othello)
  7. Marco (The Animorphs)
  8. Dandelion (Watership Down)
  9. Remus Lupin (Harry Potter)
  10. Velutha (The God of Small Things)
There's more.  Not to mention the ones from TV and movies (can we say Mal from Firefly?)

You could probably plumb the deep, hidden recesses of my psyche and think of some really disturbing things to think about me  from my taste in fictional men.  Never minding the fact that a handful of them aren't even actually human.  Ahem.

Ah well.

I can't be the only one.  Who else has some fictional character crushes?

9 comments:

  1. Great post! So funny (love the inclusion of Justin the Rat)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey man, Justin's pretty desirable for a rodent. He's even rogueishly handsome in the cartoon, which may have swayed my young mind in his favor...

      Delete
  2. OMG I do!! I fell head over heels in love with Edward Cullen AND Jacob Black (NOT the movie versions - I saw them in my head, tyvm), Mr. Darcy is a shoe-in but let's not discount Mr. Bingley *faint*, most of all, Genghis Khan in my own book, Yassa. He is a MAN's man. Maybe it's because I had to be so close to him while writing it. I don't know... But ohhhh lala!! Great post!! WRITE ON!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely get crushes too, on fictional characters from both books, movies, and TV shows, but I'm not naming names. I think 'crush' might be a bit of an understatement, though. Were I to act in real life I'd definitely be a stalker.

    Suffice it to say I have crushes on my own male MCs - makes the writing much more enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. DUDE!! I am a couple hundred pages into Order of the Phoenix, and when I told Kelsey that i have a weird tiny crush on Lupin, she made fun of me! I am incredibly pleased that I'm not the only one. =D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Furthermore, I share your penchant for Mr. Darcy and would add Quincy Morris (Dracula) to a list of my own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dude, no, Lupin is totally desirable. Much moreso than Sirius, IMO, despite the fact that Sirius has a lot more fan-girls.

      And Quincy Morris, really? I dunno about that one. I liked Van Helsing. He was so bizarre and Dutch and had more personality than anyone else in the book. Honestly he was really the only thing I liked about Dracula. I found the rest of the cast to be pretty vapid.

      Oh, and speaking of fictional crushes: Enjolras.

      Just saying.

      Delete
    2. Ah! I loved dear Quincy. Van Helsing unquestionably carried the story, though, I have to admit. But then I loved Dracula from start to finish.

      And how could I forget? The #1 fictitious love of my life: Edmond Dantes. Though admittedly, 'tis a tortured, conflicted, painful love.

      Delete