Saturday, June 23, 2012

Movie Madness


If a Hollywood agent were to come knocking on your door with an offer to turn your book into a movie and told you that you could call all the shots, who would you have direct and star in it? Write the first paragraph of Roger Ebert’s review of your film.

Ahh, now this...This is something I think about a lot.  Ever since I first started writing, I've always day-dreamed about the film version of my books.  My brother is a film geek, so I haul him in, too, especially when we play the casting game.  

I want Tagestraum to be directed by Guillermo Del Toro.  He's the guy who did Pan's Labyrinth and both of the Hellboy movies.  He also did this really excellent movie called The Devil's Backbone which you should watch.  It's sort of the "brother" movie to Pan's Labyrinth.  It's a ghost story, set in a boy's boarding school/orphanage in the midst of the revolution, and it's sad and creepy and hard-hitting and just all-around awesome.  

Anyway, there's a few reasons why I want Del Toro directing it:  
  •  He makes visually stunning films.  I can't think of any director who makes movies that are prettier while still managing to be creepy and atmospheric.  He would bring the whole world to life on-screen.
  • He would give the appropriate balance of fantasy, horror and real-life storytelling.  Tagestraum is absolutely a fun escapist adventure/romp through Wonderland, but it has all of these psychological aspects too.  Other directors might skip one or the other, but Del Toro would balance them just right.  
If Guillermo Del Toro didn't direct it, my 2nd choice would be Peter Jackson.  Not just because of Lord of the Rings, but because of a much less well-known film he did called Heavenly Creatures which is very much like the book I wrote.  Oh, and by the way, you should watch that movie if you haven't already.  It's excellent.  Very disturbing.  It's basically what would have happened if Bridge to Terabithia were about two emotionally-unstable teenage girls with murderous impulses.

Anyway.  Once the director was chosen, there's casting to consider. 

Adrian would be Michael C. Hall.  I've known that from Day 1.  I just can't imagine anybody else in the role.  He's the guy from Dexter, if you were wondering.  I want him for a couple of reasons.  One, because I think he can pull off "tortured, yet calm and polite to the point of neurosis" perfectly.  Two, because he has the perfect voice for voice-over work, and I imagine in the film of Tagestraum that there would be a lot of voice-over leading into the flashback sequences and such. 

Sonia, the faerie who helps Adrian navigate Tagestraum, would be played by Emma Stone (the girl from Easy A & Zombieland).  I'd pick her 1.) Because she's attractive, and Sonia in the books is described as essentially having the best features of all of the girls Adrian's ever been attracted to, and 2.) Because she's got the perfect balance of street smarts and vulnerability.  And she's got the best expressive eyes. 

I'm still debating who to cast for Lorelai, the aging-but-tough-as-nails dream-addicted faerie merchant.  I do, however, know that I want Doug Jones for The Nightmare Man.  He's a creature actor who you've seen in a ton of movies but didn't necessarily recognize.  He's the faun in Pan's Labyrinth and Abe Sapien in Hellboy.  He was one of the Gentlemen in the Buffy episode Hush.  He was the Silver Surfer in that Fantastic Four movie.  He's perfect for the role.  And, as a bonus, he clearly has a working relationship with Guillermo Del Toro, so it's a two-for!

Anyway.  Yeah.  Clearly, I think about this too much.

How 'bout you guys?  Ever spend way too much time day dreaming about your ideal book-movie?

2 comments:

  1. I love that you've given this such detailed consideration already, Tiana! What a great sense of direction for your book. Keep visualizing - who knows what could come of it?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Del Toro is a fabulous choice for any fantasy or horror themed novel. And I love Emma Stone too, Easy A was such an awesome movie.

    ReplyDelete