Wednesday, June 13, 2012

On Mock Covers and Daydreaming


Describe your process for choosing and designing your book cover. Who created your cover? How did you find him/her? What do you love about your cover? What might you do differently next time?

I daydream about covers a lot.  It's probably not very productive daydreaming, since I'll have basically zero control over the finished product when the book finally gets published, but I like thinking about them anyway.  I also like to cast actors for the film version of my unpublished (and often unwritten) books, so daydreaming about things beyond my control is par for the course.

Anyway, for Tagestraum, I've had two cover ideas.  My first one, I did a little mock-up of *points to the side*.  In the book, Adrian has a recurring dream about a tunnel of trees, an endless path and a cloaked figure beckoning him within.  It's a pretty obvious choice.

I had a better idea for a cover, though, and maybe I'll try putting together the other one just for kicks. 

I want it to be white, like a piece of paper, or maybe lined like notebook paper.  Possibly a coffee stain or some crumpling.  There should be a drawing, off-center (toward the spine) of The Nightmare Man.  The drawing itself should be kind of rough and childish.  In fact, the whole thing should look like a child's drawing, and "Tagestraum" should look like it's written in crayon.  The "R" should be backwards. 

...No, I don't think about this too much....

How bout you guys?  Ever think entirely too much about things outside of your control?

2 comments:

  1. I do think about things beyond my control. The worst is probably centered around my kids and what they do on a daily basis. I'd like to have control of that, but it's just not possible. WRITE ON!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah, that's the worst part about other people -- they make their own choices, and sometimes they're so /bad/ lol.

      Delete