Monday, June 25, 2012

The Writing Business

If your goal is to sell books, you must view your book as a business. In what ways do you treat your book as a business? Where could you improve? What resources could you leverage to improve your book business?

I'm making this one quick because I have a lot of work to catch up with this week.  Talk about writing as a business!  You learn to appreciate writing in a much different way when it determines whether or not you pay your bills or eat in a given week. 

Anyway, the most important part of the whole book-writing business...is finishing the damn book.  You can't market much if you don't have a product to sell.  And that counts for subsequent books, too.  You have to keep writing or else you don't have anything to sell. 

Past that, I think marketing is a combination of making friends and using your creativity to get people talking about your book.  Which, of course, only works if you have a good book in the first place. 

Oh, and one piece of advice before I get to work today:  Don't take things so personally.  Don't be afraid of failing.  Just try things out.  Experiment.  If something doesn't work, well, you might have to go back to the drawing board.  But I think the second step of running a business (after you create the product that you're selling) is to be flexible in your approach and always find solutions instead of just balking at problems. 

4 comments:

  1. I think don't be afraid of failing is a very good tip! For a lot of things in life. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If there's one thing I really have to thank writing for, it's beating my fear of failure out of me. I know some people who are totally paralyzed by fear -- they have all these things they want to do, but they're too scared to try in case it doesn't work. Not me, man. I am the rejection queen.

      Delete
  2. I SO needed to read this. I get caught up in the to-dos (tax reports, blog entries, social media presence, etc) and "run out of time" to write, when that really is the business. Thanks for a kick in the pants!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this post, Tiana. Yes - FINISH YOUR BOOK already!

    ReplyDelete