It is, in fact, a bloghop hosted by the amazing folks at Falling for Fiction
Here's the basic gist of it: Today (the 16th) I post the first line of each of my chapters. On the 18th, I post the final line of each chapter. The point of all this, of course, is to give you a teaser, and also to judge my ability to hook you (and hang you). The hosts will pick their favorites and give 'em a 10 page critique, which is fun.
Anyway, here's the first lines of the first three chapters, plus a couple of my favorites from later in the book.
- The Nightmare Man came today.
- The drive out to the Weaver’s house was a familiar one, considering how many times Adrian had been there on welfare visits in the last eight months, but it felt strange now that he was making it after hours.
- Adrian had been hung over once, and only once, in his life.
- Nathaniel Weaver was certain of two things: first, that he wasn't playing make-believe anymore; second, that he wanted to go home now.
- He felt her, then, inside his mind: an intrusive, hungry presence that rifled through his thoughts, accessing his brain as though he were nothing but a computer.
- Adrian stopped celebrating Halloween the year that Samantha died.