Sunday, July 15, 2012

Hookers & Hangers

That sounds kind of terrible-yet-wonderful, doesn't it?

It is, in fact, a bloghop hosted by the amazing folks at Falling for Fiction

Here's the basic gist of it:  Today (the 16th) I post the first line of each of my chapters.  On the 18th, I post the final line of each chapter.  The point of all this, of course, is to give you a teaser, and also to judge my ability to hook you (and hang you).  The hosts will pick their favorites and give 'em a 10 page critique, which is fun.

Anyway, here's the first lines of the first three chapters, plus a couple of my favorites from later in the book.
  • The Nightmare Man came today.
  • The drive out to the Weaver’s house was a familiar one, considering how many times Adrian had been there on welfare visits in the last eight months, but it felt strange now that he was making it after hours.
  • Adrian had been hung over once, and only once, in his life.
  • Nathaniel Weaver was certain of two things: first, that he wasn't playing make-believe anymore; second, that he wanted to go home now.
  • He felt her, then, inside his mind: an intrusive, hungry presence that rifled through his thoughts, accessing his brain as though he were nothing but a computer.
  • Adrian stopped celebrating Halloween the year that Samantha died.



17 comments:

  1. Oooh I want to know how the Nightmare Man is... great hooks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow on #5. But I was hooked on the first one. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All of these have a great voice with a tad of creepiness. Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! Loved these! Especially the first one, way to start a story!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow! That last one is def. my favorite hooker, but they are all great! Can't wait to see the hangers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are awesome lines. Am I now going to have Nightmares about the Nightmare Man?!?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dude, you have me hook, line and sinker! Ah, that first line gave me the chills. This sounds creeptastic. Can not wait for the hangers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Holy cannelloni I want to know who this nightmare man is!

    Excellent stuff here. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow. Great writing here. I totally want to keep reading this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks everyone for the comments :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. #5 is my favourite, but all of them have a great, dark tone to them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Nightmare Man is definitely a good hook :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. I liked the hung over bit, and Samantha's death broke my heart. Excellent hooks. I would keep reading!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So many good ones! I can't just pick one!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The nightmare man is my pick. They are all good and creepy!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The Halloween one is very cool, but I think this is my fave:

    He felt her, then, inside his mind: an intrusive, hungry presence that rifled through his thoughts, accessing his brain as though he were nothing but a computer.

    ReplyDelete