Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Would You Rather: Author Edition

Have you ever played the game "Would You Rather"?  The basic idea of it is to choose between two things that are both really unpleasant ("Would you rather eat a live spider or drink an entire bottle of moose urine?"), and your answer will illuminate something about you.  People try to guess what you'll choose. Sometimes there's drinking involved (but probably not moose urine). 

Well, I've been thinking about a few "would you rather" situations in writing-land, and I've realized that answering them honestly has taught me some things about myself as a writer.  It's given me a lot to think about, and I'm not sure what to do with all of this information just yet.

But, anyway, it made me curious.  So here's some of my "would you rather" questions.  Give it a shot.  It might give you some useful knowledge about yourself/your career.  Or not.  Feel free to post your responses in the comments.  If you're not feeling super comfortable with that for whatever reason, just think on them and do with that knowledge what you will.  I'm going to post my responses in a later post, and then we can chat ;)  It'll be fun! 

(also, feel free to steal/redistribute this post, but please link back to me if you do so we can share the love)

Impossible Writer Questions: 
  •  If suddenly your favorite genre stopped being published entirely by the major houses, would you rather switch genres, or start publishing small press/self-pub?  
  • Would you rather have your book read by as many people as possible but not get paid for it, or get paid really well for it but only a handful of people read it? 
     
  • Would you rather write dozens of books, trying to find the "right" one for your dream agent/publisher, or find a home for the one book you have, even if that home isn't ideal? 
     
  • Would you rather have a small group of extremely devoted fans, or a wide readership of casual readers?
Just a few to get you started -- feel free to think up some more.  Now I'm not saying that these choices *are* either/or choices -- in real life, you can have both sometimes.  But for the sake of this philosophical exercise, let's pretend that you have to choose one or the other. 

6 comments:

  1. Interesting questions. I'll have to think about them a bit more before I respond...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here you go - I've answered one of the questions - http://melissawrites.com.au/2012/07/would-you-rather-impossible-questions/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's the second question - http://melissawrites.com.au/2012/07/writing-books-a-lot-or-a-few/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good questions! I can answer #1 & #4 easily. The other two are a little tougher.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Answer to the next question - http://melissawrites.com.au/2012/07/how-many-readers/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Question 4 - http://melissawrites.com.au/2012/08/switch-genre-or-self-publish/

    ReplyDelete