Thursday, August 2, 2012

Fun With Diversions: A New Project on the Horizon

Wow -- August already!  Time is blazing by.  I've been in Austin for six months.  I turn 26 next month, and David and I celebrate our 4th anniversary.  Holy crap!  Where has the time gone? 

Anyway.  I've been keeping busy.  Probably too busy.  During the week, I write content for clients.  On the weekends, I look for new gigs, send pitches to magazines, and write game events for Black Chicken.  I also have five crit partners I trade critiques with (sorry I'm so slow, guys!) and, whenever I get a spare second, I have writing and editing for my own fiction as well.  And then all the miscellaneous stuff like blogging, posting to forums, keeping up with Twitter, Facebook, etc.

Before I do anything else, I have to complete the edits on Nezumi's Children, which I'm about 2/3rds of the way through.  After I finish up Nezumi and ship it off to CPs, though, I'm going to take a detour to work on some short fiction.

A couple of years ago, I re-read Angela Carter's The Bloody Chamber and I was struck by the real horror of Bluebeard.  I'd read the book several times and had talked about Bluebeard before in plenty of lit classes, but it wasn't until I was in a committed relationship that I truly understood it.  Looking back on Bluebeard as a woman -- not a child, or a teenager, or a fledgling adult, but a full-on woman -- I'm chilled by the deepest implication of the tale:  No matter how well you know the person that you love, you can never completely know them. 

And that little seed of a thought buried itself into my brain and started to take root. 

The idea of a short story anthology has been percolating in my brain for a long while, but I've always pushed it aside in favor of other, more salable things.  But I've been quietly gathering story ideas all this time, writing them in my head, letting them take over in the dark. 

But today, I decided to just go for it.  I've been itching to get my feet wet in self publishing land with something low-risk and fun, and an anthology sounded like the perfect opportunity.  What better way to get a sampling of my work out into reader's hands?  And what better way to distribute something that I've been contemplating for years? 

Anyway.  Details and information to come as this project develops.  I hope you'll all join me along the way :)

No comments:

Post a Comment