Tuesday, September 25, 2012

10 Book Series I Haven't Finished

My friend over at Life in a Notebook posted this meme today from The Broke and the Bookish and I just had to muscle my way in, because it's a topic I have so much to say about.  The topic for this week is "Book Series You Haven't Finished," either due to lack of interest, procrastination, etc.  Although there have been a lot of series that fit the bill, here are the big ones that come to mind: 

  1. Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter by Laurel K. HamiltonI read these pretty compulsively throughout high school, and they were the first "naughty" books I read.  I gave up on the series halfway through Blue Moon, though, because I absolutely could not stand the character of Richard and an entire book about him made me rage-quit the series.  I was already pretty bored with them by that point, though, because the formula was so predictable.  From what I've heard, the series goes totally off the rails later on, so I'm glad I jumped ship when I did.  
  2. Redwall by Brian Jacques.  I read several of these in high school and am still very fond of them.  I stopped reading after realizing that they were all basically the same, though, although there's a few I want to go back and try as they've been recommended very highly. 
  3. A Song of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin.  I fully intend to finish reading these, but I put them on hold because a.) they're very long and time-consuming and b.) my copies are all in my car, which is broken down and in storage quite a ways away from me.  Whenever I get around to rescuing my car, they'll be the first thing I read.  
  4. Goosebmps by R.L. Stine.  These were my bread and butter all throughout elementary and middle school.  At one time, I was the proud owner of an impressive 62 of them.  That was the last I'd read, though.  I stopped reading Goosebumps in 1998, and was surprised (and pleased) to learn that R.L. Stine is still writing them prolifically for our current generation of kids.  
  5. The Warriors by Erin Hunter.  I've actually only ever read one of these, which is a real shame because I absolutely loved it.  I've just never had the time or opportunity to pick up more, but I do intend to do so at some point when I get the time.  I have a soft spot a mile wide for talking-animal books, and these are some of the best. 
  6. The Rats of NIMH by Robert C. O'Brien.  I read Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH in sixth grade and was instantly charmed.  Like I said, I love talking animal books, and I'm a tremendous lover of rats, so there was no contest that I'd love this.  What I didn't know was that a whole series of these books followed.  I've never seen any of the sequels in a library, but I'd eagerly read them if I found them just to satiate my curiosity.  
  7. The Guardians of Ga'Hoole by Kathryn Lasky.  A few years ago, I went on an animal novel binge and picked one of these up, but I was extremely disappointed in it.  The plot seemed to barely hold together coherently and the entire thing felt extremely derivative.  I know these books have a lot of fans, so I apologize, but I was really not impressed by what I saw here at all. 
  8. The Kairos books from Madeline L'Engle.  I read A Wrinkle In Time, The Wind at the Door, A Swiftly Tilting Planet and Many Waters, but I haven't read any of her other works.  Which is something I feel I should change, because I'm hard-pressed to think of any single author whose works had a greater impact on my world-view, not just as a child but lastingly as an adult.  
  9. Anne of Green Gables by Lucy Maud Montgomery.  I actually never read the first book until college in a literature class, and didn't ever seek out the sequels.  Truth be told, the book never had much effect on me whatsoever, although I know a lot of people that mark it as a seminal reading experience.  Maybe if I'd read it earlier I would've liked it more, or at least been more affected by it. 
  10. Twilight by Stephenie Meyer.  It's kind of trolling for me to even list this, because I haven't even really read them.  But I picked up the first book and made it through the first chapter before setting the book down in disgust and have had very little interest in picking it back up.  So...that counts, right?  
What I've learned from this experience:  If I haven't finished a series, it's probably because a.) the library doesn't carry all the books or b.) every book follows the same formula and I get bored.  

No comments:

Post a Comment