Sunday, December 16, 2012

Publishing News Sunday Comes Again


It's Sunday again, which means it's time for another round-up of publishing news and stories.  Here's what I've been reading this week. Did you guys find anything interesting?  Please share in the comments!

  • The annual Goodreads People's Choice awards results are in, and the folks over at BookRiot break them down.  Interesting to see that The Casual Vacancy came out in 1st place.  I have yet to pick up a copy -- I admit that the prohibitive cover price kept me away -- but I I really must obtain a copy at some point.  
  • Well-known prolific authors use uncredited "co-authors" to help write their books.  Well, nothing new there, but it's interesting that it's getting out into the open a bit.  It raises some interesting questions.  Like whether the insatiable demand by readers for new books is making the creation of really good books more difficult, and whether an author's "brand" is more important than his work.  It's all kind of gloomy to think about.  
  • Why Charlie Brown's Christmas Special would never get made in 2012.  A blog post about modern commercial media, franchises and the impossibility of launching fresh ideas -- from an economist's point of view.  I wonder sometimes if media has ever been any different -- if producers and publishers and whatnot were ever interested in things other than "sure bets."  Because it kind of seems like, in hindsight, the things we remember as great are those things that stood the test of time -- whether or not they were popular when they came out.  I know I tend to prefer the "cult classics" over the popular things.  I wonder if I'm alone in that?  
  • A revolutionary publishing deal has gone largely un-reported:  Hugh Howey published Wool with Simon & Schuster but got to keep his ebook rights to himself.  This is HUGE and might make a massive impact on the way rights are handled in the future.  I can't help but wonder if this was largely the doing of his super-star agent Kristin Nelson.  Oh, and Howey has a movie coming out as well.  I haven't read Wool -- in fact, I hadn't even heard of it until I saw it mentioned on a blog somewhere -- but I'll have to check it out now. 
  •  

No comments:

Post a Comment