Sunday, December 2, 2012

Sunday is Publishing News Update Day!

So I spend a lot of time reading up on publishing news.  A lot of time.  I spend so much time with industry blogs and social media that I tend to blow off all of my other responsibilities, in fact.  But, hey, on the bright side, at least I know what's going on. 

Anyway, I'm going to try to make a habit of updating you guys with industry news on Sunday.  Here's what I've been reading about this week: 
  • Simon & Schuster teams up with Author Solutions to deliver a super-slimy self-publishing package.  They're not the first publishing house to make this move, and sadly they're probably not the least.  I still don't understand why houses are choosing to team up with Author Solutions, of all places, when there are much better self-publishing options they could pursue. 
  • We likely haven't seen the end of massive corporate mergers in the publishing industry.  Random House and Penguin merged at the end of October, and there's some speculation about Simon & Schuster and Harper Collins.  Here's some great insight on the economic impact of all these mergers, by the way, if you're big on that sort of geekery. 
  • This one happened a few weeks ago but just came to my attention: Amazon is cracking down on its reviews, and the new methods are pretty unfriendly to self-pubbers, small-press folks and mid-listers.  Basically, anybody who relies on fellow writers and friends/acquaintances for reviews is going to suffer a little.  On the bright side, maybe this will teach people to stop gaming the system.  Or maybe not.  But, hey, we can dream right? 
  • Duotrope is going paid in the new year.  This is unfortunate, not the least because of their less-than-friendly response to legitimate author concerns.  I had really enjoyed their new layout and functionality, and I might have considered voluntarily donating -- or paying for premium features -- but I for one will not be shelling out $50 per year.  I'll just have to use some other market listings and track my submissions another way. 
A bit of a downer week, isn't it.  Oh dear.  Ah well -- ours is a rapidly evolving industry.  It's sort of like the weather in Texas:  If you don't like it, wait five minutes and you'll get something else.

Did I miss any big news this week?  Drop me a line in the comments! 

1 comment: