In the meanwhile, I suppose it's only fitting to take a moment to reflect on the year that's passed and make some plans for the upcoming year. In truth, New Years has always been a pretty lame holiday for me. January 1st never feels like the start of a new year. In my head, I seem to operate on an academic calendar, so I get to feeling like the year really begins around the beginning of September.
Anyway, this has been a crazy, awesome year for me. I quit a job I hated to work for myself, and didn't starve in the process. I finished the revisions on two novels and made progress on a short fiction anthology. I sent out a ton of queries. I printed an article in a magazine. I worked my way up through the ranks and doubled my per-word rates and built up a private client base.
And outside of work, some pretty awesome things happened too. I moved to a completely new city. I sold a car and bought a new one. I became a non-consumerist and started learning more about the "real food" diet and locavorism. Overall, life is good.
Here are my goals (I hesitate to call them resolutions) for the new year:
- Finish the anthology and self-publish it
- Find a publisher for Tagestraum
- Start (and finish) the next book (or two)
- Read more
- Pitch more magazines and find more independent clients
- Transition to a 100% whole/real foods diet (or close to, anyway)
- Do some kind of physical activity every day before I become permanently fused with this office chair
Modest goals, perhaps, but attainable ones I hope.
How 'bout you guys? Care to share your resolutions?