Tuesday, January 1, 2013

At the End of the Day it's Another Day Dawning

There's been some radio silence here on the blog lately.  I apologize -- now that the holiday madness is over, things should be returning to their regularly scheduled posts.  So this Thursday, expect more Critical Thinking, and Sunday should be a return to publishing news.  Yay!

In the meanwhile, I suppose it's only fitting to take a moment to reflect on the year that's passed and make some plans for the upcoming year.  In truth, New Years has always been a pretty lame holiday for me.  January 1st never feels like the start of a new year.  In my head, I seem to operate on an academic calendar, so I get to feeling like the year really begins around the beginning of September.

Anyway, this has been a crazy, awesome year for me.  I quit a job I hated to work for myself, and didn't starve in the process.  I finished the revisions on two novels and made progress on a short fiction anthology.  I sent out a ton of queries.  I printed an article in a magazine.  I worked my way up through the ranks and doubled my per-word rates and built up a private client base.

And outside of work, some pretty awesome things happened too.  I moved to a completely new city.  I sold a car and bought a new one.  I became a non-consumerist and started learning more about the "real food" diet and locavorism.  Overall, life is good.

Here are my goals (I hesitate to call them resolutions) for the new year:


  • Finish the anthology and self-publish it
  • Find a publisher for Tagestraum
  • Start (and finish) the next book (or two)
  • Read more
  • Pitch more magazines and find more independent clients 
  • Transition to a 100% whole/real foods diet (or close to, anyway)
  • Do some kind of physical activity every day before I become permanently fused with this office chair

Modest goals, perhaps, but attainable ones I hope.  

How 'bout you guys?  Care to share your resolutions? 

No comments:

Post a Comment