Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Some Housekeeping (And An Exciting Update)

So, you may have noticed that there's been some blog silence from me recently.  Sorry!  I'm in the process of moving, and moving is chaotic.  The Austin experience, while fun and illuminating, was not what we wanted for ourselves long-term.  For better or worse, Las Cruces is my home -- the place where I've spent the majority of my adult life, where I planted my first seeds that are due to grow roots (to mix metaphors badly) -- and it's high time I return there.

Unfortunately, moving sucks.  I've done it so many times in my life, but it seems to get harder each time rather than easier.  This time, I'm trying to shove as many boxes as I possibly can in the back of my Kia Soul so that I don't need to pay to ship anything.  This sounds great in theory.  Kind of Romantic, actually.  Dumping everything, hitting the open road and starting anew with just the barest essentials.  In reality, it kind of sucks.  I have two computers, an X-box, two cat carriers, a rat cage, a chihuahua and two humans to fit in that car.  And that's before you start considering things like clothes, expensive kitchen gadgets, out-of-print books, baby pictures, beloved stuffed animals and hard-to-find DVDs.

So, this whole thing is really stressful.

I'm also in a bit of a mess with my taxes.  I ended up owing more than I'd expected and have to work pretty hard to get caught up by April.  Stupid self-employment tax.  I'll work through it, but again, also stressful.

So anyway.  If I've been silent lately, that's why.

Now then, a bit of house-keeping!  I'm going to try to keep doing Publishing News every Sunday, but I've decided to make Critical Thinking Thursdays a monthly, rather than weekly, feature.  Mostly because it takes time to find really good topics worth covering.  If I start getting good topics, I'll do it more frequently.  (Hint: I love taking suggestions!)

And For The Exciting News...

Now that the housekeeping is out of the way, I wanted to make an announcement!  

For the past several years, I've been working on-and-off on a project.  It's nearing completion right now, and I am very excited to share it with you.  It's an anthology of short stories illustrated by my friend (and amazing artist) Jillian Lambert, and I will be self-publishing it.  I don't have a publication date set for it just yet, but expect to hear a whole lot more about it in the upcoming months.  

2 comments:

  1. Fun and stress all around! Good luck with it all. I checked out your friend Jillian's blog, and her drawings are full of ass-kickery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jillian is basically made of pure awesomeness. I met her on DeviantArt about 10 years ago, and she's been one of my favorite people ever since. It's pretty exciting to work with her :)

      Delete