Monday, December 23, 2013

A Few Delays and a Safety Precaution

First, I owe you all an apology.  It looks like Tagestraum will not be getting released in time for Christmas.  There are a few reasons for this.  First, I'm waiting on the cover art to get finalized, and there's no use rushing that -- I want it to look its absolute best.  Second, life circumstances on my end have gotten pretty hectic lately, which has made the final editing/formatting pass take quite a bit longer than I'd like. 

The good news is that taking this extra time will ensure that the book is the very best it can be, so that's pretty exciting.  I think you all will like it. 

On a related note, I'd like to extend a warning out to you all.  Scammers are everywhere on the 'net, but they're not quite so plentiful as right around Christmas when people are vulnerable and have big, giving hearts.  Scam artists abound with sob stories and money-making opportunities, and they're getting savvier by the minute. 

I bring this up because I was recently taken in by such a scammer.  He approached me with an editing job that, once finished, would be the single biggest project of my freelancing career.  Thought I had a niggling suspicion in the back of my mind that what he offered was too good to be true, I let the prospect of ample cash (just in time for Christmas!) get the better of my common sense. 

Now I have to work doubly hard to make up for the lost time and money caused by that hassle.  I've also become quite a bit more cynical. 

One silver lining to the situation: It gave me material for a few articles.  I sent pitches to a few magazines and am eagerly anticipating their response.  I'll let you know if any of them pan out.  It would be kind of poetic if they sold for more than the "editing" job, wouldn't it? 

No comments:

Post a Comment